Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Squeezing water out of stone





Episode 1
John was so excited. He was running around the house and feeling like a Vulture encircling a carcass.
‘' I am the happiest man on the earth''. John exclaimed. ‘‘I remembered when I was dating Cynthia, I was so happy that I met her, but it was obvious that Cynthia and I was not the perfect match. It was so horrible that I cried like a little child the day Cynthia called off our relationship’’.
John reminisced the good days with Cynthia and how they will wink at each other especially at public places. It was a very beautiful time for John; however, John knew that the happy mood that serenades him now is not the same feeling as Cynthia three years ago.
This feeling is quite different. This feeling is a feeling of life in Eldorado.
Gina has agreed to marry John after three years of courtship. ‘‘All through my teenage years, I am always thrilled when I saw uncle Charles and his wife’' John told his brother Jude,'‘ I saw their that their love was not based on what we watch on TV but their Love was real and captivating that he became the standard for our family''.
Jude nodded his head and said ‘' My brother, I concur with you and I also remember that I was there too during my holidays and I was really endeared to them'', Jude chipped in and John heaved a sigh of relief and said ‘‘My brother that imagination of Eldorado is here with me, Gina and I will continue the blaze of love in the family' and Jude shouted ‘Yes, yes, yes!.
Jude was so happy for his brother because he knew of the other heartbreaks he has gone through.

Episode 2
Gina was a young hardworking lady that works in a consulting outfit in Lecky, Lagos Nigeria.
Lecky is famous for being the hub of the crème de la crème in Lagos; Lecky is definitely the place to be. Lecky is a major part of the Lagos Island, fondly called the Island by Lagosians.
Gina lives and works in Lecky and she is happy to have agreed to marry John.
Gina has had her fair share of heartbreak with men. She was coming from a relationship that ended with pain and sorrow.
She met Amos (a handsome young man) in a restaurant where she went to eat during her break and somehow they became friends and one thing led to another and Amos promised her marriage.
‘‘Are you sure, you know this man very well? Do you know any of his friends? Do you know his office? I have a feeling that something is not right, I do not know'' Gina elder sister Priscilla quizzed Gina.
She was not comfortable with Amos, but you know what they say ‘Love is Blind'' Gina continued with the relationship.
On this fateful day, Gina went to see Amos without calling him that she was coming to see him. Gina knocked the door and Amos opened the door, but was upset that Gina did not call him earlier.
Gina said ‘‘are you saying that I have to call you before I come to see you all the time'’. Gina feeling infuriated, ‘'Amos are you hiding something from me? Amos, you do not pick my calls at night in the last two months''
 Gina breathed a sigh of disbelief in her countenance as he was busy with his newspaper.
Amos stood up to cuddle Gina and as he stood up, something fell off from Amos breast pocket and he was not aware of it, Gina stepped on it freakishly and played along with Amos that morning.
Gina said ‘'Amos, kindly give me water to drink'' Gina voiced changed from a thundering roar to a cat meow.
Immediately Amos stepped to the kitchen, Gina quickly hides the complimentary card into his bag and played along all through the day.
As Gina was going home that day, she brought out the card and her temperature rose to ‘'100 degree Celsius''
She saw on the card ‘' Pastor Barnabas, the founder of the church of the light Ministry'' Gina was dumbfounded. Her heart rose so many times that evening as she walked home.
 She started shivering and her joints began to shake. It was a terrible moment for Gina.
Amos told her he was a lawyer and she has seen Amos on many occasions in his lawyer wig and clothing. She has seen clients visiting Amos for legal business.
 Most Sundays, when she invites Amos to her church, he always declines and say ‘' baby, I'm busy, I need to round up a case I am handling''.
Amos real name is Barnabas and the phone numbers on the card matches all the phone numbers of Amos. Gina went to work the following day and manages to work normally as if everything was alright. Joy was Gina friend and colleague at work and she understands Gina very well.
Though Gina tried to downplay any problem, but Joy knew that something was wrong. ‘'Common Gina, I know you, tell me, something is wrong’’ Joy told Gina during their break time’’
Gina told Joy what happened over the weekend and they devised a plan. They will locate ‘‘the church of the light Ministry''. They came very early to the church and hide and watch as church members started coming in for their church service.
Around 9 am, Gina and Joy saw Amos coming out from a jeep with a woman and three children. ‘'That must be his wife, is he married? He deceived me for two years, how can I fall to his trap? ''Gina ranted and cried as she tried to approach him.
 Joy held her'' Calm down we will embarrass publicly, Let us join in their service and while he is preaching, he will sight us from the podium and we will make a scene that will be very difficult to disrepute''
 Gina concurred.  Two hours into the Service, Gina and Joy walked into the Church and sat in the front seat. Amos looked up and saw Gina, his countenance changed and he was trembling.
He told his assistant pastor to continue the ministering. He went straight to his office behind the church altar. Gina and Joy followed him. ‘’Master craft, master craft, you have used me and achieve your means. My sister told me and I didn’t listen to her. How long did you think this was to last?''
Gina started shredding the disgraced man into pieces and all the while he kept quiet.
Immediately Amos wife came and entered the office,'' barn, what is going on?'' Gina snapped'' ohm, you are Barnabas and not Amos''. Gina told Amos wife everything that has transpired and the other church members who heard what happened were so disappointed. Gina and Joy left the scene.
EPISODE 3
Gina and John have both moved on with their lives and they are very happy. As time progresses, Gina became pregnant and when John proposed marriage, Gina agreed to marry John.
As the day go by, John visited the parents of Gina, and he was told of the customs and ritual to be done before marriage.
John was eager to meet up all the requirements because he loves Gina so much.
Gina registered for antenatal and from time to time John will visit Gina every Saturday and shower her with gifts.
On this fateful day, Gina called John and told him that the doctors want her to undergo some tests. ‘'Gina dear, is that a problem?'' John asked Gina in a very lovely romantic tone.'' Please, my dear, I want you to be there''. John agreed to be there and the test was carried out, and they were told to come back two weeks from that time for the results.
They went for the results on that fateful day. The doctor told Gina to come in alone. John was shocked, and he snapped immediately,'' I am the father of the child, Yes we are not yet married, but we will marry soon. I want to come with her''.
The doctor insisted that Gina must be seen alone with the doctor and persuaded John to understand. John gave up and Gina went it with the doctor. The doctor requested his secretary to call Mrs Daniels (She is the HIV and AIDS counsellor in that hospital) and Gina knew Mrs Daniels role.
 Her heart raced. Gina was not aware of the shock she was expecting. Her mind started joggling to many things and she told herself'' No, I am not wayward; maybe she is here to counsel me on John. No, she is here to tell how to be careful so I do no contact HIV. No, she is here to counsel me what motherhood looks like.
Her heart kept racing as she watches Mrs Daniel and the doctor engaged in a muted discussion.
Mrs Daniel came to Gina and said'' Gina, can youexcuse us for 20 minutes? I will call you later''
Gina came out and saw John doze off. John was tired from work and hadn’t slept very well for some days because of work schedule
Gina watched john slept graciously on the seat and she started to reminisce how John has been different from the other men she had dated, John was a straightforward, honest, loving and a very decent young man.
She imagined what Mrs Daniels and the doctor could be talking about. She watched as they attended to other patients who had an appointment with the doctor. She just couldn't imagine anything but she just watched John sleep so graciously.

Episode 4
The doctor called Gina after 3 hours. Mrs Daniel was there and they told Gina that'' We have conducted all tests that need to be done Ultrasound test for fetal nuchal translucency (NT), Two maternal serum (blood) tests. BP test level, Sugar test level etc.
The entire test came out good. However, we are sorry to inform you that you tested for HIV. Your HIV test shows that you are HIV positive. That means you have the virus in.......'
Gina retorted, ‘‘Stop it, Doctor, and Stop it. Am I a Kid? I know what HIV means and I understand the consequences ‘'.
Gina cried and told the doctor to check the test result again. She said that the tests might have been mixed up and that the doctor should check again. The Doctor advised Gina to conduct the same test at another hospital.
Mrs Daniels was trying to bring her counselling tips and advice into play when Gina walked out of the Office.
She woke him up. ‘‘Ohm Gina, I am so sorry, I slept off, how did it go? Why all these acting displays from the doctor? ‘'Gina did not tell John what transpired and told John that they should leave.
Gina told John that she wants to conduct the tests in another hospital for a second opinion and John was dismayed because he was clueless about what was going on. ‘'What is happening? I am confused. ‘' John asked her fiancée gently.
Gina lied to John about it and they drove to another hospital for a second opinion. The entire test was carried out and they were told to come for the result in two weeks time.
Gina persuaded John to stop pestering about the test result and that they should wait for the second result in two weeks time. Gina relapsed on her bed and was so devastated. She cried all through the night.
She wondered how she came in contact with the virus. Thoughts of suicide raced through Gina as she watches the fan. She touched her baby. She remembered John and she imagines the reaction of John. ‘'Will John run from me? Am I really an HIV patient? How? How? I know most of the schoolmates who are so wayward and indecent, but they do not have HIV? Why me? Why? ‘'
Gina tried to console herself with the fact that the second test result will come good. ‘'I am so sure that my second result will vindicate me. I am so sure ‘'Gina told herself confidently. Gina went into Prayer and fasting during the two weeks’ time, and she kept everything to herself.


Episode 5
John and Gina drove to the hospital for the results. They waited in the lobby of the hospital and the doctor called both of them in. The doctor told the secretary to call the HIV counsellor and by this time Gina knew that all hell is let loose. Gina knew that she is indeed HIV positive.
 ‘' Georgina Madu.  Who is this man?' The doctors ask Gina. Gina answered ‘' He is my fiancé. The father of my baby''
The doctor said’’ the test results conducted shows that your baby is healthy and you are fine and.’’ John cuts in and seemed temporarily relieved and shouted ‘Yes, I knew that my baby and my little angel are all fine, so doctor thank you so much, so ----''
The Doctor cut in and told John to calm down. He told him that everything is fine but the HIV result of his wife shows that she is HIV positive. John sat with astonishment and he farts so loud.
The fart was not nauseating to Gina and John but the doctor and the counsellor who ran out of their office. 
John and Gina savoured the nauseating fart for 15 minutes. They did not say anything to each other. John left the room and went to see the doctor and after paying the bills. He came back to the office and he told her ‘' Gina, let us go''.
When John drove Gina off to her house there were no customary kisses and hugs. Suicide thoughts rose through the mind of Gina until she slept off. John got home and brooded over the matter so much.
John loves Gina so much. She was a very easy going and carefree person. He understands what HIV is and he knew that he could also be in danger. He drove to a hospital in Lecky who conducts quick HIV test and he found out that he was HIV negative.
He went the next day to another hospital and he was HIV negative. Gina refused to tell Joy, her colleague and she kept everything to herself.

Episode 6
John called Gina on Friday and told her to meet her at Brown cafe (A popular cafe, eatery, drinks bar in Lecky). ‘'Gina you know.......'' Gina cuts in. ‘' I know you want to quit, I am very dirty and filthy. John, you are a nice man and you do not deserve me, I am .........''
John stopped Gina from going further. ‘' Gina, you are HIV Positive. I am not. If I walk away from you, heaven will not hold me accountable but my heart will.
My little angel in your womb will hold me accountable. The reason why I didn't call you for the past few days is that I was doing research on HIV and non-HIV partners and I have come to the realisation that it has worked out for most people.
This is our dirty linen and we will promise to hold it dearly to our chest. Gina, I will not leave you. I repeat, I will not leave you. I will stand with you. Is that not what Love is supposed to be? You and I have come a long way and HIV or no HIV will not come between us. We will manage our situation and we shall succeed''
Gina knelt down and started crying profusely and everybody was astounded. John cuddled Gina up and Gina let out a smelly fart. Everybody left the cafe because of the fart but nobody has the courage to approach them. The fart did not smell to Gina and John.  ‘'
My wonderful baby, your fart smells like chocolate'' John told Gina. Gina replied'' Your fart at the hospital smells like chocolate''
John and Gina's relationship took another positive turn from that day. Gina registered with an HIV/AIDS counselling unit where she was given free ARV drugs on a monthly basis.
The hospital helped them so much during the course of the pregnancy.


‘’Squeezing water from a stone is a very difficult task but I think that John has shown us that Love supersede everyththing’’ Gina Mother shouted with Joy when she heard all that happened. Gina became an advocate for HIV discrimination agencies in her area and her story became a spring board for people living with HIV in her area.(Despite Gina HIV status, John married Gina).
Gina gave birth to a beautiful baby girl and three months later they were married.














No comments:

Post a Comment